The National Cadet Corps [NCC]
The formation of the National Cadet Corps (NCC) under the NCC Act, 1948 was a major milestone for the development of the student community. With its motto of ” Unity and Discipline”, the NCC has become instrumental in molding the character and imparting in our students a dynamic outlook during their school and college education.
The Aims of the National Cadet Corps are;• To develop qualities of character, courage, comradeship, discipline, leadership, secular out look, spirit of adventure and sportsmanship and the ideals of selfless service among the youth to make them useful citizens. • To create a human resource of organised, trained and activated youth, to provide leadership in all walks of life including the Armed Forces and always available for the service of the nation.• To create suitable environment to motivate the youth to take up a career in the armed forces.
NCC has been divided into three divisions.
i) Junior Division ( for school boys and girls)
ii) Senior Division (for college boys)
iii) Senior Wing(for college girls). Now 33% reservation is kept for girl cadets.
The Corps aims at developing character and qualities amongst cadets and making them into good leaders and useful citizens so that they can take their appropriate place in all walks of life in the service of the nation. The qualities of leadership, discipline, courage and confidence with a secular outlook, which are the hallmarks of good and useful citizens, are inculcated in the cadets through a well conceived programme of institutional training combined with adventure, sports and outdoor activities.
Training Activities include Institutional training ( drill, weapon training,map reading, field craft, first aide, civil defense, National Integration, social service etc), Camp training ( Annual training camp, National integration camp, nau/Talsainik camp, Basic/Advanced leadership camps, centrally organized camps , etc) , attachment to regular army, Gliding & flying , sea training, adventure trainings like mountaineering, trekking, cycle & motor cycle expedition, parasailing, Para jump, slithering, Scuba diving etc.
Selected cadets will participate in Republic Day Parade at Delhi. The NCC has an on going Youth Exchange Program with Canada, Singapore, U.K., Australia, Bangladesh and
Sri Lanka. Selected cadets are sent to the above countries for special training and they get a unique opportunity to meet and trained with cadets of different countries.
Advantages of NCC training to students:
1. Develop qualities like social service, team spirit, leadership, discipline and self confidence.
2. Since NCC camps are held at different places in the country, cadets get opportunity to visit important historical and industrial places and social centers. Due to this students widen their horizon and develop ambition to do creative work.
3. NCC cadets are taught civil defence and self defence. Due to this cadets develop national spirit and confidence.
4. NCC cadets are attached with army units every year so that they get acquainted with the army life.
5. NCC cadets are trained for parachute jumps and mountaineering so that they develop capacity to do courageous work.
6. Selected cadets are sent to foreign countries every year.
7. 32 seats are reserved per course in the IMA for cadets who have passed NCC `C` certificate examination. NCC cadets having 50% aggregate marks in graduation with minimum `B` grade in `C` certificate examination are eligible for short service commission( NCC special entry scheme) without qualifying CDS written examination. They will face direct SSB interview.
8. NCC trained cadets are given preference in recruitment of armed forces.
9. Many Industrialists give priority in jobs for NCC trained students.
10. Central and state governments also give priority in job for NCC trained students.
11. Priority is given to NCC trained students by Universities in B.Ed, MA MSc admition and hostel.
12. NCC trained students are given priority in recruitment in central reserve force and BSF etc.
13. NCC cadets are given refreshment on every parade and are given washing allowance for uniform.
14. NCC cadets are given facility to purchase goods from military canteen.
15. On death or permanently handicapped of NCC cadet during NCC activities, a sum of
Rs. 2,00,000 are paid from NCC welfare society. NCC Cadets Welfare Society:
The society was established initially with the aim of providing financial relief and assistance to NCC cadets sustaining temporary or permanent disability or to their nominees in case of death of the cadet, during NCC related activities. It also grants 500 scholarships of the value of Rs. 5,000 /- each to academically brilliant NCC cadets and also awards two Best Cadets in each category in each group a sum of Rs.3,000/- and 2,000/- .
Permanent Disability/ Death cases Temporary Disability
High Risk Rs.2,00,000/- 1,00,000/-
Others Rs. 1,50,000/- 1,00,000/-
Scholarship of Rs.3,000/– each to 04 JD/JW and SD/SW cadets from each group.
Annual Sahara Scholarship: An annual Sahara scholarship scheme of Rs. 1 Crore to be given out as scholarships per annum to NCC cadets, has been instituted by the Sahara Group.
i) JD and JW Rs.6,000/- each
ii) SD and SW Rs. 12,000/- each
iii) Professional Rs. 30,000/-
For NCC cadets following camps are arranged.
1. Combined Annual Training Camp( CATC)
2. Basic leadership Camp ( BLC)
3. Pre Republic Day Camp( Pre-RDC)
4. Advanced Leadership Camp( ALC)
5. Course at Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling.
6. Paratroopers camp
7. National Integration Camp( NIC)
8. Attachment to regular Army/Navy
9. Republic Day Camp ( RDC)
10. Tal/Nau Sainik Camp
11. Trekking Camp
12. Social Service Camp (SSC)
13. Independence Day Camp.(IDC)
14. Youth exchange program(YEP)
1. Institutional Training
2. Adventure Activities
Cycle/ Motor Cycle Expedition
Para Jumping/Sailing, Gliding
3. Social Service Activities
Community Development Program
Awareness about Non Curable diseases.
Eye donation and Anti Dowry pledge,
Assistance in traffic control, construction of Bridges, Repair of Roads
Anti tobacco campaign
Anti leprosy Program
Environment awareness program
4. Motivational talks
5. Life saving Courses.